Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Big House

I am starting this new blog to document thoughts, facts and ideas about the 'Big House: Go To Goal series by quiltmaker Judy McDermott. In 1995 Judy was artist-in-residence at the Gunnery Studios, Woolloomooloo when she took time to explore her experience of travelling from her home set on the edge of the bush to her work at Long Bay Gaol Sydney.
The quilt series which resulted from this residency was first shown at the Object Galleries, Sydney in 1999 and later that year at the Fibre Design Gallery in Goulburn NSW.
I have set up this blog in conjunction with quilted-out-of-space.blogspot.com as part of my project: 'From the Block to the Blog and Back Again'.
All this started from a comment by Deleuze and Guattari in 'A Thousand Plateaus' comparing the structure of a quilt with their theory of 'smooth space' and since I am interested in he processes of quiltmaking but know little about D & G's theories and this project is my first experience of blogging--I have set out to explore similarities and differences between all three.
I have work by two other contemporary quiltmakers, Pamela Fitzsimons and Emma Rowden with blogs specific ('Lost in time' and 'Reconfiguring the wall') to the details of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment